How to get to Antwerp without issues?
The road races in the Elite Men, Elite Women and U23 categories will start from the centre of Antwerp. Grote Markt and the streets around it will be closed to all traffic. As a result, getting to the start zone by car will be all but impossible. Fortunately there are plenty of alternatives so you don’t have to worry about missing out on any of the action at the 2021 UCI Road World Championships.
The best way to easily get to the World Championships road race is by bike, of course.
- Every destination remains accessible and there are no detours.
- You can safely drop off your bike in the free manned bicycle stand in Steenplein.
In addition, many park-and-bike car parks will be provided on the outskirts of Antwerp. These car parks are easily accessible by car and are within cycling distance of the route in Antwerp. The route to the track will be marked.
|A. Vermeylenlaan & Esmoreitlaan||Linkeroever, Antwerp|
|Legrellelaan & Beukenlaan||Antwerp|
|P+R Metropolis (exit 'Deurne' or 'Ekeren')||Luchtbal, Antwerp|
Antwerp’s city centre is very easily accessible using the underground.
- Premetro lines 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 15 will not be disrupted by the road closures.
- They connect the city’s periphery and its many “Park & Rides” with the city centre. The tram will thus take you to the start zone of the World Championships effortlessly. These car parks are easy to access from the motorway and they are frequently served by the trams and buses of De Lijn.
- The premetro lines are not disrupted by the track.
Below is an overview of all P+Rs and the frequency of service.
|P+R Luchtbal||Every 5 minutes|
|P+R Merksem||Every 5 minutes|
|P+R Bosuil||Every 10 minutes|
|P+R Wommelgem||Every 10 minutes|
|P+R Olympiade||Every 5 minutes|
|P+R Schoonselhof||Every 10 minutes|
|P+R Linkeroever||Every 5 minutes|
|P+R Melsele||Every 10 minutes|
You can travel by train to the station of Antwerp, which is situated along the World Championship course.
- Antwerp Central (“Centraal”) railway station is near the World Championship circuit. The start zone is just a 20-minute walk from the station.
- Moreover you enjoy a 50% discount on the ticket price on Saturdays and Sundays with a weekend ticket.
- The NMBS will also be putting on additional trains during the World Championships.
You can find more information and a journey planner .
No station with connection to Antwerp near you? Park your car in an NMBS car park in the station of your choice and finish your journey by train. Train travellers can park their car in an NMBS car park at discounted rates. .
Travelling by car
For those who are not coming to the UCI Road World Championships, but still need to get around Antwerp:
- Use Waze or Google Maps. Almost the whole city centre will be closed off until all the racers have passed through. So do not rely on your sat-nav or your knowledge of the area.
- Be aware that it may take longer to get to your destination because of traffic and diversions.
- All car parks in the city centre will be difficult or inaccessible during the World Championships. Therefore, it is best to park just outside the city at one of the many P+Rs. Via P+R Linkeroever, you can take the tram, the ferry or the tunnel Saint-Anne by foot. The centre of Antwerp can be reached by premetro from all other P+Rs. you will find an overview of all P+Rs in Antwerp.
- Follow the signs that have been set up locally.
You can find more information on the website of the City of Antwerp.